Tuesday, 15 August 2006

I love you

I remember the day that grandpa fell. It was the night of my 13th birthday. Grandma called and said that grandpa suddenly collapsed form the chair. We rushed to their house. And since that day, my grandpa could never walk again. He was bed-ridden. He could not eat solid food and could barely talk. Almost every day our relatives would come and visit. There were also some faces that i did not recognize. We had tried many things to cure him from traditional to modern medication, but nothing worked.

Almost a year later, i had to go to this Girls Scout Camping trip. I went back home with my friend as planned. My dad and her dad are friends as it is easier. On the way back home, her dad suddenly started saying, " Tok Bah sakit dah lama kan." I replied, " Aah, nak dekat setahun dah." Then he told me that grandpa passed away that morning. I felt tears running down my cheeks. I couldn't believe the news. When i reached home, everything was already settled. Grandpa was already buried and i didn't have the chance to see him for the last time. Tok Bah, I love you and may you rest in peace. Al-Fatihah.


***************************************************

It was my first summer holiday. Been looking forward to spend my holiday with my family and friends. My Nek has been bed ridden for some months. My aunt took care of her. It was my first time also seeing her sick. I remember her being healthy almost all of the time. My dad asked me to help my aunt and my mom to change Nek's clothes and put some lotion so that her skin won't dry. I was the only granddaughter around at that time. My dad asked me to talk also to Nek because i had been away for quite some time.

I spoke to her. Slowly, when no one was looking at me.

"Nek, Dila ni. Dila balik cuti. Sebulan je ni. Nek cepat2 baik tau." I knew that Kak Inn is closer to her amongst us sisters and so i added, " Kak Inn tgh sibuk lagi ni. Dia tak sempat nak dtg tgk Nek. Nanti dia dah abis kerja mesti dia dtg sini tgk Nek". At least Nek knew that Inn was busy and will come to visit her later.

Later that night, i went and met up with Hyeda and i slept over at her house. That morning dad called. "Dila, Nek dah meninggal."

I was shocked. Hyeda drove me to my aunt's appartment as my dad was busy arranging for her jenazah to be brought home to Batu Pahat. Everything went smoothly and her jenazah was brought home to our house first. Yesterday i helped my aunt to change Nek's clothes and today i help while others bathed her for the last time.

I am glad to be home during that summer. I got to see my Nek for the last time. Nek, i love you too and may u too rest in peace. Al-Fatihah.


***************************************************

It is important to say "I love you" to the person we love. And it's never too soon to say it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's never too soon to say i love u..yup..i agree.we always take it for granted til it's too late..so don't hesitate to say i love u to ur love ones...father mother siblings best frens all!!

Inn said...

very good writing my dear. and it's so true.

i went home one weekend and nek knew i was in BP. but it was a short weekend, and i didnt have the time to visit her. i went back to kl that sunday and it was that week she got her heart attack. I was there when she pulled thru the first time but i'm just soo stupid sometimes. i really am. i tot we have time and but then she passed away and i realized how important it is to be with the ppl you love.

she waited for an entire weekend to see me.. now.. i have to wait my entire lifetime before i can see her again. you have no idea how much i miss nek and at some extent, it's hard to forgive myself. i love her so much. so very very much.